In Need of Workers
The Board of Elections is currently recruiting poll workers. This important civic responsibility is open to all registered voters in Bergen County. It is vital to the democratic process to recruit and train reliable poll workers such as you.
Bilingual Spanish, Korean, and Japanese speaking poll workers are especially needed.
- Must be able to work from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. on election day (hours vary for school board elections)
- Must be able to read and speak English
- Must be registered to vote in Bergen County
- Must complete training
- Set up machines, poll books and other material at designated polling district.
- Assist voters with sign-in and verify signature.
- If necessary, assist voters in the operation of the electronic voting machine.
- Answer voter's procedural questions.
- Close polls at the end of the day.
How to Apply
- Complete the Poll Worker Application
- Printable version of the form
- Call the Board Office at 201-336-6235
- Forward your application to the Board of Election in person, mail, or fax
Bergen County Board of Elections
One Bergen County Plaza
Third Floor, Room 310
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Fx: 201-336-6245 or 201-336-6234
- Upon Board of Elections approval of your application, you will be scheduled for a Poll Worker Training Class.
- After successful completion of training class, you will be assigned to a polling site.
- You will be contacted in advance about your assignment for election day.
Hours of Service
- The polls are open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (school board election times vary)
- Poll workers must arrive at 5:15 a.m..
- Election day typically ends at 9 p.m.
- $200 for primary, municipal, and general elections
- Varies for school board depending on town and hours