New Jersey Resources
New Jersey QuitNet
- An online resource that provides comprehensive, individually tailored smoking treatment service, available 24 hours a day. Other smoking cessation programs are also listed on this site.
New Jersey Quitline
- 1-866-NJ-STOPS (1-866-657-8677)
- The statewide telephone helpline offers free one-on-one counseling for smoking cessation. Provide information, advice and support, creation of a personal program of smoking cessation.
- Times / Days:
- 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. on Monday - Friday
- 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. on Saturday
- American Legacy Foundation
- Dedicated to building a world where young people reject tobacco and anyone can quit. Programs include EX® - An innovative public health program designed to speak to smokers in their own language and change the way they approach quitting.
- American Lung Association
- Offers free online smoking cessation program including written guide, audio cassette program, online programs, and local group clinic information.
- A website based on school anti-smoking curriculum. Provides an interactive experience to encourage adolescents to keep away from smoking as well as quitting.
- New York QuitNet
- The New York State Smokers' Quitline website. Offers materials and support for smokers, former smokers, teens, and health professionals.
- Launched in 1995, QuitNet is the Web's original quit smoking site.
- Tobacco Free Nurses
- An extension of QuitNet geared towards helping nurses and student nurses to quit smoking.
American Cancer Society
- National - 1-800-227-2345
- Bergen County Unit (Hackensack) - 201-343-2222
- The ACS offers information on local cessation programs and provides smoking cessation literature.
- "Twenty-one Days to Stop Smoking" audiotape: provides tools to help smokers identify and conquer obstacles that stand in the way of quitting for good. Offered through the American Cancer Society. To order, call Quality Books at 800-556-9444 and request item #100.
American Heart Association
- Northern New Jersey - 732-821-2610
- National - 1-800-AHA-USA-1 (1-800-242-8721)
- Provides materials on smoking and cardiovascular disease, and resources and tools for quitting smoking.
American Lung Association
- National Headquarters - 212-315-8700
- ALA of New Jersey - 908-687-9340
- To find the ALA nearest you, call 1-800-LUNG-USA (1-800-586-4872).
- To speak to a lung health professional, call the ALA Lung Help Line at 1-800-548-8252
- Provides materials on quitting smoking and Freedom from Smoking self-help smoking cessation program.
National Cancer Institute
- 1-800-4-CANCER (1-800-422-6237)
- 1-877-448-7848 (1-877-44U-QUIT)
- Provides a Smoking Quitline staffed by specialists to help you quit smoking and up-to-date information on cancer.
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- To promote cessation, the citywide department is offering 45,000 free nicotine replacement therapy courses (or “patch kits”) to qualifying New York City residents 18 and over who smoke.
New York State Smokers’ Quitline
- 1-866-NY QUITS (1-866-697-8487)
- A free and confidential service that provides New Yorkers telephone counseling, stop smoking materials and referrals to local stop smoking programs.