About The Bergen County Dept. of Health Services
To improve and maintain the quality of health for all citizens in Bergen County through public health community outreach and service delivery initiatives; to be an adaptive, learning organization that serves as an effective and accountable local public health authority and an innovative provider of community health services.
- We believe that health is a "state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being, not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." (World Health Organization, 1948)
- We honor the diversity of the individuals and communities we serve and value their differing approaches to health and well-being.
- We believe in partnerships and collaborations to improve the health of our communities.
- We espouse the principles of exceptional customer service in our dealings with both internal and external customers.
- We believe the department's actions should assist our communities in addressing underlying factors that affect good health.
- We value effective leadership as a fundamental tool to improve the health of our communities.
- We strive to be responsible stewards of the public trust and resources.
- We value a diverse staff and believe our staff should be selected with care, treated with respect, held accountable for their performance and encouraged in their professional growth.
- We believe in balancing scientific knowledge and practical experience with the wisdom and beliefs of those we serve to improve the health of our communities.
- We emphasize innovative prevention, health promotion and early intervention.
- We consider that it is our role to support individuals, families and communities in becoming aware and gaining control of the factors that influence their health.
- We recognize that a healthy population is an essential element to the broader constructs of human and economic development.