Grilled Kale & Peach Salad
Grilled Kale and Peach Salad
Stop at the Bergen County Farmers' Market at One Bergen County Plaza, Hackensack, on Wednesdays this summer from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. to get the ingredients needed for this perfect summer side dish.
- 2 Tbsp. aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey, mild flavored
- 3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 bunches lacinato (dinosaur) and/or Russian kale
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large peaches, ripe but not mushy, cut in half and pitted
- Pecorino Romano or Ricotta Salata, optional, shaved
- To make the dressing, combine the vinegar, honey, pepper and salt in an airtight container. Cover container and shake well. Add the extra virgin olive oil and shake again to emulsify. Dressing will last up to 2 weeks refrigerated.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Wash and pat or spin dry the kale leaves with their stems intact. (The stems will aid in turning the kale leaves while grilling.) Brush the kale leaves with 1 1/2 Tbsp. canola oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the kale leaves until they just begin to wilt and turn bright green, about 15 seconds. Do not close the grill. Flip the leaves over and continue cooking for another 10 to 15 seconds.
- Brush the cut side of the peaches with the remaining canola oil and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place, cut-side down, on the hottest part of the grill. Do not close the grill. Cook for 2 minutes, rotating peaches a half turn midway through. (If the peaches are very ripe, cook for 90 seconds.)
- Remove the ribs from the kale and pile leaves on a cutting board. Slice in 1/2-inch ribbons. Cut the peaches in quarters and place on top of the kale. Drizzle the salad with dressing to taste and sprinkle with cheese, if using. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings; Serving Size: two 1/4 peach slices and 1/2 cup kale
Per Serving (including dressing): 236 calories; 16 g fat (3 g saturated fat); 21 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein
Adapted from The Weiser Kitchen.